Welcome

Welcome to Anita Clew’s advice blog, where job seekers, employees, and managers post work-related questions…. and Anita responds with matter-of-fact answers.

Here, you will find a wealth of information from an expert in employment services and employee relations.  Anita is known for her witty sense of humor and no-nonsense approach as she addresses serious issues that relate to the working world.

Like a good friend and a shoulder you can lean on, Anita shows support, yet is sure to guide you in the right direction with professional advice (minus the sweet talk).  She encourages you to share what’s on your mind about work and ask questions (either openly or anonymously). From résumé tips to situations on the job, Anita will offer her opinion and advice.  All you have to do is post your questions, and she’ll take care of the rest.

You’re also encouraged to read other posts… you may learn a thing or two.  Post any additional comments if you’d like!  We look forward to hearing from you.

1. Tec
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 14:25:20

Getting a foot in the door is hard regardless of any economic conditions I was in the same place in my career long ago. I would recommend to apply to things other than you target field. Reason for this, you need to build some experience in something. Don’t take your eye off your goal or target field and what I mean is don’t take your eye off of the criminal justice field. You may have to enter the field indirectly. You may also want to sign up with a security guard agency. I worked as a security guard a few times in my life for college, extra money and you know there are a lot of people who are retired policemen, detectives, lawyers,etc and they are working part-time or full time as security guards, and they can give you tips on what you are looking for. Also volunteer with the local police, etc. Feel free to email and let me know how it goes. I understand your frustration

2. Tonya
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 08:41:56

Hello Anita;
    I have an Associates degrees and a Bachelors degree in criminal investigations, I desperately want to get in a job in my career of study, but having a difficult time getting hired because I do not have the experience, but how can I get the experience if I can’t get hired? Please assist me in anyway, I am so frustrated, just fill like I am going to just have the degrees and that’s it.

3. juan garibo
    Oct 09, 2012 @ 09:15:43

i am forklift driver

4. Tec
    May 26, 2012 @ 07:58:44

The proverbial shaft strikes again:
    I am writing this posting because I think others should be made aware of it. If this has happened to you, please let me know. For Hiring Managers if you are out there please take note of this comment–you could find yourself in the same position someday. On Monday I signed on with an agency for a short term project–supposed to be a month. In order to do the job we(8 others started the same day) needed special passwords, right, permissions, credentials to be setup–to no avail they were not. We were told that they(IT) were supposed to have these required items setup for us 2 weeks prior to starting so that when we started the project we start working. It took 4 days for them to finally get us those things and on the 4th day It was not given to me until the COB. That means I was dead in the water Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu–up until the close of business. The manager we were working under decided to give us alternate things to do and we all did those things. I was a good worker. I showed up early before the start time, stayed late each day. On Friday at the COB they decided to let me go. The told the agency that I did not do my job. This was an outright lie!!!! As soon as I got the call, I was shock at the reason I was given and went and talk to the manager I worked for. I told that person what I heard and he told me that is not what they told the agency. Who should I believe. From what I learned the “Hiring Manger” was the one who sent the note to the agency to let me go. He does not know me and is not even located in the same state as the place of employment. Here is my beef: For the past 5 days, I busted my butt doing the alternative things that were given to us because of the lack of not having passwords,permission, rights,etc. Why would you want to make a lie about someone that worked that hard for you. It sounds like this was a knee jerk response. Look if the reason you let someone go is simply because you over hired more people that you need, why can’t you just say exactly that???? Or why can’t you just say “It is for budgetary reasons”–what is so wrong with saying that.? When giving a response like “They did not do their job” even when you know it is not true. You are hindering the chances of that individual getting another job. Is that really right? What happens next, if the agency does every come across another position that person could do, they will think twice, three times before they call them. And this is all because of a BS answer that was not true that you gave them for a reason to let that worker go. For people that do contracting, sometimes an agency is all they have for future work. Hiring Managers do you really care? Do you think oh well contractors are a dime a dozen, they will find another job? Or he/she is a contractor, who really gives a #$*!!. If you think that way you are either totally oblivious to what is going on in the world, or you are being paid way to much to care. Please take not of this, How would you like to do contracting because that is all that you can get as a job and then have a company tell the agency you work for something that was untrue about you or a down right lie just so they can get out of telling them the real reason for letting you go? I am sure you would have a lot to say about it.

5. peggy
    Apr 02, 2012 @ 12:28:30

My name is Peggy. I work as a personal care aide. I have years of experience, but no certification. I live in western New York. Any advice except the obvious go to school. Problem. Have student loans I’m still paying back because I was young and Nieve. Thank You, Peggy

6. Alfonso arellano
    Mar 17, 2012 @ 05:45:34

Good morning I had a couple of questions about my paystubs

7. William hernandez
    Mar 01, 2012 @ 06:31:15

Any aplication

8. Sandy Quintana
    Jan 24, 2012 @ 20:06:22

My name is Ronnie Quintana i have 30 years cnc. plasma oxy. cutting
    1/8″ plate to 12″ plate shape cutting mach. forklift overhead crane crow nest
    and remote control Exp. with Ht.# grades of Material G codes down loading
    log jobs and edit programs.

9. Mary Pena
    Aug 13, 2011 @ 00:40:46

Hi my name is Mary. I’m looking for a job as nanny. The kids Im currently taking care of are transitioning to school. My hours are cut and eventually (for this new school year) I’ll be needing a new job. I have been with them for almost 6.5 years. If somebody is seeking for a nanny near Wesrwood area in LA, feel free to contacat me.

10. james m taylor
    Jul 13, 2011 @ 11:24:56

hi im james im am looking for a temp to hire position in a warehouse doing order puller or a picker im a very good hard worker dependable

11. Shannon Cook
    Jul 03, 2011 @ 08:22:41

Hi I’m Shannon And I’m looking for work. I do have a job that I have been at for almost 4 years. The reason I’m wanting to look else where is because I have alot to offer a company. I show up to work everyday and I take pride in all my work I do. I really enjoy warehouse work and I know how to drive a stand up fork truck ( we are not offered licence) so I do not have one for my truck. I want to grow in a company that will reconize what I can bring them. Thank You Shannon

12. Jacob Okwir
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 20:00:59

Hi Anita

I am looking for a job to help support me with my family. I am soon moving to St Louis area to study at college. I need to work to support my family and pay my bills. Can you help me? I will be in St Louis in the first week of April and I will make a courtesy call on you in your office. Be blessed.

13. KAREN SANDOVAL
    Feb 28, 2011 @ 15:02:56

HI MY NAME IS KAREN AND I AM VERY INTEREST ABOUT THIS JOBS AND I AM REALLY SURE THAT CAN BE HIRING TODAY OR TOMORROW SO BE BRAVE AND POSITIVE THANK YOU SMILE

14. Jomar Angel
    Jan 05, 2011 @ 03:49:22

Pl’s find me a jobs like any medical asssembly or packaging assembly,thanks & god bless to all your family members……..

15. Jomar Angel
    Jan 05, 2011 @ 03:46:46

Hi anita can u help me to find a job for eltronics assembly,medical assembly,production assembly or machine operator,like using a masurement like a window fashion.Because I have experience for machine operator in San Diego last 1999 to 2003, 4 years experience in “Hunter Douglas Fabrication”.

Jan 05, 2011 @ 12:27:02

Hi Jomar,
      Thank you for submitting your questions. Unfortunately, I cannot directly assist you with a job placement but I can give you some advice on where to go!
      Contact one of the Select Staffing offices in San Diego County (there are about 4 in the area) or hundreds of offices nationwide! Here is some contact information for your convenience:

CA – Select Staffing – Chula Vista
      985 Broadway, Suites H& I
      Chula Vista CA 91911
      Phone: 619-426-6815

CA – Select Staffing – Oceanside
      4161 Oceanside Blvd, Suite “A”
      Oceanside CA 92056
      Phone: 760-732-0171

CA – Select Staffing – San Diego
      7333 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
      San Diego CA 92111
      Phone: 858-492-9995

CA – Select Staffing – San Ysidro
      199 Virginia Avenue
      San Ysidro CA 92173
      Phone: 619-428-8382

You can apply online at http://www.selectstaffing.com or stop by a local office. Sounds like you have some valuable experience to offer!
      Good Luck!
      -Anita

• DepressedNdesperate
        Nov 15, 2011 @ 14:29:33

what if you have applied at this agency and still get no response?

Nov 16, 2011 @ 08:01:49

After you apply with an agency, be sure to remain in contact with them. Though you may have submitted an application online, you still need to call the local branch directly and schedule a time to come in for an interview and complete the hiring process.