Ask Anita

Ready to ask a question?

Anita’s ready to answer!

To start, simply tell us who you are by clicking the category that best represents you:

After you’ve done that, you can simply fill in the available fields.

NOTE: Your name is a required field, but you can always list it as “Anonymous” if you prefer! Also please keep in mind that your email is required so that Anita can send you a response to your question, however your email will NOT be displayed with your post on our blog.
We respect your privacy!

At last, you’re ready to post your question!

Simply type into the available field. Keep it clean and get to the point people!

Click the “Post Comment” button when finished.

You can also specify whether or not you would like to be notified by email any time a comment has been added to your question and/or any time there are updates to the site.

Be aware that any question you submit may be published.

1. anonymous
    Jun 21, 2016 @ 15:09:28

Hi, I have been trying to get another job in the Buffalo area have not had any sucesss I am relocating to Columbus for a better chance for a job with my fiancee who already has a job, can you give me any tips how to sell myself, I have background in working with children for 20 years, I work right now with a non profit company would love to be an advocate in Columbus I love helping others that’s from children, people from other countries, and Elderlies. Any advice?

2. Alicia Harper
    May 31, 2016 @ 11:43:40

You asked about mistakes in resumes. I was a “loaned executive” for 4 months for the United Way campaign. I had on my resume of about 8 months, “loaded executive”. I was laid off so I had submitted SEVERAL resumes to different companies.

3. anonymous
    May 26, 2016 @ 12:16:45

hi,
    I been having trouble with finding a job, yeah I go to interviews but i don’t hear back from them which is very disappointing I’m just really anxious about getting a job if you please give me some hits or help that would be perfect.

4. lana lanning
    May 15, 2016 @ 14:54:01

Do you hire felons?

May 16, 2016 @ 09:25:10

Lana, EmployBridge companies are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers and do not discriminate against those with convictions. We encourage you to apply with your local office so we can determine your eligibility for employment and if you meet our hiring criteria. Please be sure to disclose your conviction(s) on our application and complete the individualized assessment regarding the circumstances of the conviction(s).

5. “Anonymous”
    May 03, 2016 @ 10:49:45

Hi,
    I took a PT/Temp job as a file clerk in a medical office. I applied on line and went for an interview and was hired on the spot and started working that day. I was to fill in for a “snowbird” since her work got behind. I was to work for 1 1/2 – 2 months and then as a fill in IF/when needed. My boss loves all that I do and that I can jump in and do excess jobs in the office when asked. She also loves all the ideas I use to make the office run smoother for everyone.

Problem is the snowbird is back and I think that she may feel threatened by my being there. First most employees are relatives. Second most employees are much younger than me, except the “snowbird”. Ex: When I have been asked to do another job after I finish mine, the snowbird tells me that they or she has it covered.

The “snowbird” also expressed to me that the person prior to me doing the job could not file even though she was family they had to get rid of her. Now that I am working only weekly as needed, someone (?) else is doing the filing and when I am there the “snowbird” questions my work IF I can’t find a messed up file. When I returned as needed weekly, all of the “ideas”-Ex: folder markers, sticky notes, were gone! I did my job that day and the “snowbird” used heavy the word “honey” towards me whenever we spoke.
    Right before I left for the day my boss came and told me to only come in when they call from now on…… (I had been given a week off due to the slow business and was to return back on the schedule I had been given).

So I know this was PT/Temp but I really do like it there to work and everyone is really nice to work with….even the “snowbird” but I think she feels threatened…… So do I call my boss and talk with her ? How do I say anything with them all being family? I don’t want her to think I am petty, but I don’t want her to think I can’t do the job…(IF she thinks I can’t file either…but I don’t know how to prove what I filed and what someone else did/does)

Note: It was impossible to call and talk with her to get my last paycheck because “snowbird” answers the phone and tells me the boss is in an office meeting. Note: They still owe me for that last day ( I think they will be issuing me my check this Friday )

May 03, 2016 @ 15:47:09

Anonymous, As you know, the job was temporary. Since you haven’t been able to get through by telephone, I would email your supervisor to thank her for the opportunity to work there. Express how much you enjoyed the team, and that you are open to extending your position to something more permanent. After that, it is out of your hands. Be sure to connect with this boss and any co-workers on LinkedIn as an added avenue to keep in touch. Then, focus on finding your next assignment.

6. Sherry Evans
    Mar 21, 2016 @ 14:47:01

Anita,

I am a “seasoned” female job seeker and have been on disability for many years. I have worked off and on during my time on disability. I am working on an Associates Degree in Medical Billing and Coding and only have a few courses left to reach that goal, I plan to continue on to get my bachelor’s degree at a different school. I haven’t worked in four years. For the most part, my disabilities are not visible, but slight accommodations would make it possible for me to work. Mainly, I need flexibility with scheduling. I have always been a hard worker and even with my illness, I have been able to complete all tasks assigned to me. I really want to work. How should I approach this subject with a potential employer? My last two employer knew about my illnesses before I ever interviewed and were flexible. The last job, some of my illnesses are what got me the job!

I have always been told that I interview well, even when I wasn’t hired for the job. Today’s job market and approach is so different from when I was actively seeking working in the past. No more walking into an office with a resume and asking for an interview. I miss those days, because I always got the interview!

Sherry

Mar 22, 2016 @ 11:27:32

Sherry, If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! It seems you have a great personality that may be hard to portray in a résumé or cover letter. Once you get that degree in Medical Billing, by all means take your résumé around to doctors’ offices, hospitals, clinics, and laboratories. Of course, augment this by applying to online job boards. Once you’re at the interview stage and have sold them on your qualifications and personal work habits, you can bring up the slight accommodations you need to perform the required tasks for the position. Good luck!

7. Dawn Thomas
    Mar 03, 2016 @ 23:46:54

Hi .I’m on a 30hrs contract…10hrs per day over 3 days….my time on rota says 7/5.30….I’m on the premises at 6.30 ..I sign book at this time but as I’m on salary..I don’t start work till 7…I have been working for 16yrs at same place…I was told when started to sign in cos it was for safety reasons…now I have been suspended due to there words for fraudulent. ..

Mar 04, 2016 @ 10:56:10

Dawn, I would talk with HR and your manager to clarify the reason for your suspension. First, see if you can find your original or any updated paperwork or emails, clarifying you are a salaried contract worker. Also find any communication including time entry procedures to make sure you haven’t made a faux pas. I’m not sure why this is an issue now after 16 years, so I’m hoping it’s just a misunderstanding that can be corrected.

8. Sandra Torres
    Mar 03, 2016 @ 13:34:08

Hi Anita.
    I recently got my job performance review with a salary increase.
    My concern is that my manager did not want to give me anything in writing even when I asked for it. I know she has my
    performance evaluation in writing because I saw it.
    What can I do about that??

Mar 03, 2016 @ 15:22:18

You could contact your Human Resource department to confirm the date and amount of your raise. At the same time, ask if you could have a copy of your performance evaluation for your records.

9. Byanca
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 09:20:30

Hi I have a problem with my neighbors playing loud music very late at night I called the office but anything has been done about it …help I need sleep

Mar 01, 2016 @ 10:40:15

Byanca, Being well-rested is crucial for you to perform well on the job. You may want to ask your neighbors directly (but politely) if they could turn the volume down after a certain hour.