About Anita

With over three decades in the employment services industry, Anita Clew has extensive experience working with job seekers, as well as employees at all levels. From conflict resolution, career coaching, and personnel issues to hiring practices, interviewing tips, and general workplace DOs and DON’Ts, Anita has seen it all…. and has an opinion about EVERYTHING.

Anita “clues” people in on what she thinks about a wide variety of work-related situations with a no-holds-barred approach that is direct, assertive, and appreciated by fans across the nation. What started out as a basic question-answer blog became an overnight sensation due to Anita’s direct and “go get ‘em” words of advice.

Unlike so many professional advice columns, Anita doesn’t hold back. Her responses are reminiscent of an outspoken grandmother’s words of advice; yet she is relatable and responsive – even celebrated – for pointing people in the right direction when it comes to advice for job seekers, management staff, and current employees.

Where quality counts and professionalism is a must, Anita relates to people with sincere affection and with their best interests in mind. At the same time, she dishes out matter-of-fact answers without the warm fuzzies or candy-coating that some advice columnists tend to be known for.

“People want to cut to the chase and be reminded of what’s right or wrong… without the fluff,” Anita has said in interviews. “If I don’t like something, I’ll tell you. If I think something has value or is a great resource, you’ll know. I tell it like it is, and I am respected for doing so.”

“Respect” is an understatement when it comes to Anita’s relationship with EmployBridge, a top 10 staffing firm in the nation.  Working as an HR consultant with the company, Anita has had the opportunity to witness and experience countless unique situations in the employment arena. She counts herself lucky to work with such a thriving firm that’s so focused on helping job seekers and businesses succeed in today’s competitive world.

Let Anita know what YOU think by submitting your thoughts, comments, and most importantly, your work-related questions on her blog. She will personally respond to each and every question that comes in.

1. mgm Steel Targets
    May 11, 2013 @ 14:44:30

Every weekend i used to go to see this site, because i want enjoyment,
    since this this web site conations truly pleasant funny stuff too.

2. online dating for disabled people
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 17:47:46

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on memory loss.
    Regards

3. A Gracious Life
    Jul 04, 2012 @ 05:20:18

Hi Anita. I find your blog really cool. It helps me much in a way that it connects me with my former world. You see, I am now a WAHM. Although I have my own company, I miss the dynamics of an organization having spent more than years in corporate life. Your words somehow makes that world alive for me again. Will make sure to visit again and ask for your advice, especially now that I am the employer.

4. Tonya Green
    May 23, 2012 @ 11:16:37

thank you for checking up on me the contract work did pick up for a little while. i’m still looking for something to go permanent but no luck yet.

5. David Peters
    Mar 25, 2012 @ 09:37:56

Dear Anita:

I am wondering what is the best way to deal with difficult staffing services, I registered with a about 25 agencies. I contact every week to let hem that I am available, but some I have never heard back from if anything assignments are available. I try to contact my representative at each of the agencies every two to three months to see what areas in the job market are best and how I can make myself more marketable. They never return any phones or emails at all.

I have recently tried to register other staffing firms, they are now only accepting who are currently working or who only been work under 6 months.

Are staffing companies really worth dealing anymore in these difficult time?

Davros

Mar 26, 2012 @ 14:28:13

Hi there,
      Thanks for your question. During these tough times many people are looking for work. Agencies and staffing firms are being flooded with applications and requests for job placement. But to answer your question, I definitely think that staffing companies are a great way to find work and personally recommend my friends over at Select Staffing (www.selectstaffing.com). If you have applicable skills and are well suited for a position a staffing firm will be able to place you. Keep in mind that not just any type of job may be best. For you and for employers to be happy and satisfied with work performance, it has to be a very good match. You wouldn’t want to be placed in just any old job and feel unhappy/discouraged by coming into the office or work place every day.

I suggest that you continue to be persistent in your job search. It will only help you to expand your professional outreach by becoming involved in social media arenas and volunteer/networking opportunities.

Check out this blog post for some other tips about finding the right job for you! http://anitaclew.com/2012/01/10/finding-employment-opportunities/

Best of Luck to you in your job search!
      -Anita

6. Angeline Triana
    Jan 15, 2012 @ 00:22:46

Really appreciate you sharing this blog post. Great.

7. Angel
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 22:37:18

Hi Anita,

I came to the country at 19, seven years later, I have served 4 years in the Marine corps, got a Bachelors in Commerce & Leadership along with two years of manufacturing experience working for MERCK pharma. My problem is that I cannot seem to get hired for positions of responsability. Am Moving to St. Louis in 5 weeks and am yet to get any response on my applications. Do you think a feet on the ground approach will change things or is this a red flag? Do you have any tips for out of state job hunts.

8. annonymous
    Nov 07, 2011 @ 06:38:37

Hello Anita,
    I am not sure I am posting this question in the right place, but here goes. If a person has a misdemeanor on their back ground check, how hard is it going to be for them to get a job. The misdemeanor is “theft of services”, the person was fined and payed the company what the court ordered. Would it be wise for this person to get it expunged. Please advise.

9. Raquel
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 11:21:19

Hi Anita,
    I was terminated from employment a year ago for excessive absentism. My husband had cancer and due to the stress I was under taking care of him, etc. I had migraines and was absent from work a total of 5 times in 8 month period. I was therefore, terminated. I took a year off from any job searchs at this time to take care of my family and myself. In any event, now that my husband is cancer-free and I no longer have migraines, I am seeking employment. How do I handle disclosing being terminated for the reason stated above during my job search, disclosing this in job applications and interview(s). Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Raquel

10. Will
    Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:05:58

Hello Anita,

I was wondering if youahve ever touched on any points regarding being disabled. I am currently going throught the process of going back to work after a very serious accident. I’m hesitant to put certain on things on my resume and applications for fear of discrimination. What should you included, omit and explain reasons for gaps in working? I’m going on two years now and just want to get back to working and a normal life. Looking forward to what you have to say.

11. Tonya Green
    Aug 30, 2011 @ 10:17:59

Hi Anita,
    My name is Tonya Green And my situation is rather pathetic. I have gone from a working mother to a lazy sloutch mooching off of my retired father for the last two years. I will say that contract work has presented me with offers that seem like (to me and my father) they would open doors to permanent opportunies, but have taken too much time doing so. What would be your advice to someone in my situation?

Aug 31, 2011 @ 08:38:09

What happened Tonya? – “Working mother… to a lazy slouch?” In order to get back into the working world and generate some income, you need to get off the couch, stop mooching off pops, and set an example for your kid(s). Things like contract work may take time to develop into something long term… but you most certainly should continue to pursue the possibilities. Temp jobs are another great way to open doors and get exposed to career opportunities. Looking for a job can be a full-time “job” in and of itself. Dust off that resume, practice for interviews, network, search through job boards, and give everything and anything that comes your way a chance. As a mother, you need to be a role model.
      Now get crackin’!

12. mcw
    Jun 20, 2011 @ 18:32:44

Hello Anita, My name isMary Wright.//I looking for a job…

13. Carroll Wade
    Mar 01, 2011 @ 07:35:46

Thanks for the information you sent.

14. Anita
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 03:21:45

Anita,
    Nice name! I want to know if you think that an employer would appreciate a candidate that would offer to do a working interview (for free)? I would like to be able to actually see and experience the environment I would be working in. Thanks in advance! Anita

Feb 24, 2011 @ 08:44:51

Thanks for posting your comment!
      If you’re willing to “test drive” a day in the life of the job for free, an employer may be attracted to this idea, and it may make you stand out from the crowd! Do keep in mind that some companies may have liability concerns when it comes to allowing someone to work for them (without being an “official” employee – yet, anyway!) Nevertheless, I think offering the idea will help put you in a positive light!
      Good Luck… and great idea!
      -Anita

15. B~
    Feb 01, 2011 @ 21:07:08

Hi Anita,
    I think I left you a question in the wrong spot. My eyes are so tired already. This is my first time on this. How can I find a GOOD staffing agency in East Texas / Shreveport, LA? The Select Staffing you recommend is not in my area.By GOOD I mean they actually work for us poor soles seriously looking for a stable, full time professional position, without having an interest for temp work. My field is Inside Technical Sales / Manufacturing & Industrial experience. I’ve been out of work since September and I’m getting weary. I’m even willing to relocate on my dime. Thank you for any advise you can offer. :)