Graduates: Attempt Temping

Dear, Anita,

I just graduated from college with a degree in business. But I have no idea what I really want to do! I’m paralyzed with fear that I’ll start down the wrong career path and wind up doing something I hate. What should I do?

Dear, Dazed Diploma Holder,

GraduatesIt’s only natural to feel some trepidation as you begin your job search and your career. But rest assured, you’ll never be stuck in a bad situation – career or otherwise – unless you choose to be.  You can always change jobs. And life is funny; even if you did have your one-year, five-year, and 25-year career goals all nicely laid out, fate often has a different plan.

So just get started! Here’s a great excerpt from Careerealism on why you may want to consider a temporary job.

“Some job seekers are hesitant to accept temporary or contract assignments because they are concerned if they commit to something short-term, they will miss out on opportunities for full-time assignments. This may be a bit short-sighted because many employers are now using staffing agencies (and sometimes internal recruiters) to ‘try before they buy’ job candidates.

In many cases, short-term assignments are being extended and even becoming full-time opportunities for some workers.

If you’re currently unemployed, determine if this assignment could give you some valuable income and also help build your resume. If you can answer ‘yes’ to both of these items, it might be worth accepting the assignment. If you do a good job, you may also be able to obtain a reference for future employers.”

Read the entire blog post at http://www.careerealism.com/job-seekers-temp-jobs/#rfDuA8cQybt8SwJV.99

While the blog mentions that employers can “try before they buy” job candidates, you as the job seeker can “try on” different positions to see what interests you and suits your personality best.

Readers: Readers, what was your first job out of college? Did it prepare you for your dream career?

Have a question you would like to ask? Visit http://anitaclew.com/ask-anita/.

Want to receive these tips by email? Simply subscribe for once-a-week advice for career success!

1. Vonnie
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 05:58:15

Find out what you love, pursue it. If you don’t make money from it, you can do it on the side while doing a job that pays. Buena Suerte!

2. Tiffany Lieu
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 12:26:38

Looks like it’s better for graduates these days that they can opt for temporary jobs rather than only settle for steady, permanent full-time in order to build better impression resumes. Some employers like to pop up the question why temping when you can have a regular job? They don’t have to figure out how to answer that too seriously, that’s, the graduates. And, there’s also the question of how can you survive on only miscellaneous income, temp work being one of them as the days and hours can fluctuate? When the employer questions that, we have to know how to find good answers.

Jun 03, 2014 @ 12:29:11

I think a great reply to “Why temping?” – especially from a recent grad – is the ability to try various companies and job titles to better focus their career.

3. Cheryl Crenshaw- Cayce
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 11:42:19

I’m a senior 55 and looking for part-time work for the first time in five yrs!!!!I’m disabled and cannot sit or stand for long periods of time. I would like to go into healthcare as a file clerk. I have been a chapter editor for the a few years @ my sorority. I don’t know it will help on my employment search. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Jun 03, 2014 @ 12:32:04

I would definitely tap into your network of sorority sisters! See if any of them have any connections in the health care field. It’s always a plus to get an introduction or referral. Then get on your LinkedIn account and network online as well.

4. Julieta A. Lisbo
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 11:22:13

After graduation I took the civil service examination for teachers. Fortunately I passed it and I was hired as a public school teacher until I retired from that job.