Being Thankful

Dear, Anita,

I just hate my job. My pay is low and the managers are morons. This job isn’t going anywhere and I am burned out. I’ve been looking for other work, but none of them seem any better. Where are all the good jobs?

Dear, Negative Nellie,

Girl Sticking Out TongueDon’t like your job? There’s someone out there who would be happy to take it. (Note that the same concept can apply to your spouse!)

Thanksgiving is a great time of the year for an attitude adjustment. No job is going to be a walk in the park every day; after all, it is called “work” for a reason. You may feel the grass will be greener at another place of employment. The fact is, there will always be aspects of any job that you enjoy, and a few that you don’t.

Abraham Lincoln said, “Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.” A worthwhile exercise may be to write down the things you are thankful for. You may want to do a full Pro/Con list about your job. If the pros outweigh the cons, then make a concerted effort to concentrate on the plusses at your position. Here’s another idea: Every day, write a short entry about something good that happened to you in a gratitude journal.

What’s that? You say there is nothing about your current work life to be grateful for? What about the fact that you are getting paid? There are nine other ideas on BizSupplies list of “Ten Reasons to be Thankful at Work.”

By focusing on the positive, you’ll find that your mood lightens. Watch this video clip to see one guy who is enthusiastic about work: While you may not be as happy to go to the office as “Mike,” maybe you can enjoy your current workplace by learning to take yourself lightly, but your job seriously.

Readers: What are you most thankful for in your workplace?

Have a question you would like to ask? Visit http://anitaclew.com/ask-anita/.

Want to receive these tips by email? Simply subscribe for once-a-week advice for career success!

1. cecile
    Dec 03, 2013 @ 06:41:44

we have to thank god for his continued grace, mercy and provision always.
    Anita thanks for all you do, you give informative and helpful advice, keep up the good work. have a fun, safe, healthy, happy, prosperous holiday season.
    may your life always fill with joy, peace,and contentment

2. Julieta A. Lisbo
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 00:57:13

Take it or leave it. If your not happy with your job find a job that will fit into your knowledge, skills and capabilities.

3. Anonymous
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 12:55:53

Thanks for that wake-up call, Anita. As someone who is unemployed and has been searching like mad for a job (any job) for a long, long time, let me tell you: I HATE hearing people complain about their job. I want to shake them and yell at them to be glad they HAVE a job in this economy. Well, I don’t really want to be violent, but you get the idea.

4. Herard Poitevien
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 15:23:41

PLEASE LIKE YOUR JOB!

5. JS
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 13:27:02

As an ex-inmate, I know we are the most unemployed people in this country, I won’t discuss why employers won’t hire us and whine about my situation, the industry who will hire us is the trucking and construction industries. All you business owners, you aren’t aware that ex-inmates built your establishment, paved your parking areas, and installed your plumbing, but you continue to not hire us because of your fear of our past. We are members of public gyms, church members, you are next to us at the grocery line, but we’re still a threat to you, why?

6. JS
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 13:18:27

I too work at a monotonous position, I’m seeking another part-time position, continue to see your manager about additional assignments, you will be inundated with assignments because you co-workers don’t want any additional work. You will stand out and maybe be placed in a leadership role, this will brighten your outlook and have you become more committed to your job.

7. Sarah
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:52:51

Good article. I always feel like I accomplished something. It might be finishing the shift or getting multiple customers to sign up for a rewards card.

8. Misty J. Goodrick
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:17:25

Happy Thanksgiving!

9. willie weaver
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 09:48:35

I need a job

10. Diana
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 09:24:20

I do not really like my job either. Number one reason it is part time, it is dull and very quiet. I do not see many people for the most part and I am a people person. Not social but friendly. A country person now living in a city where people are just not as friendly as I am used to. People here do not wave at you when they drive by. :) Now that I have said all that, I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR MY JOB! I am getting paid, may not be much but it is better than nothing. God supplied this one and I am to be content where I am at. Is it easy all the time, no, but I try very hard to have Joy in the Journey. In the mean time I keep looking for another part time position where I can keep the one I have or another full time one. Life is not perfect but we can all find Joy in the Journey.

11. Hills
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 08:57:42

I have been unemployed for 6 months now despite the fact that I have applied for over 100 jobs. I would be happy with a low paying job and a crappy manager for now. I’d continue looking without jumping ship because it is a tough market out there (unless my health is in danger, like getting physically hurt).