TextSpeak Tip-Off

Hi Anita!!!!

I wanna ask u for advice cuz i’m not getting any job intvws after 4 mo. of sending my resume to lots of biz and I don’t know Y. Lemme know what 2 do. Ur the best!!!

Dear, Texter Extraordinaire,

texting

Your cover letter could be the difference between getting a phone call for the interview and your résumé going in the “no” pile. While abbreviated answers work well on your cell phone, as a job seeker, you’ll want to be sure to use proper sentences in business correspondence. Below are a few important items to include in your cover letter, whether you attach it as a Word document or include it in the body of an email.

• Include the job title you are applying for and where you saw the position advertised.
  • Outline how your qualifications make you a good fit for the job, briefly but not in shorthand.
  • Reiterate your contact information, even though it appears on your résumé or job application.

Re-read all correspondence before sending. Incorrect spelling, faulty grammar, and improper punctuation may raise a red flag with your potential new boss. Don’t trust your Smartphone’s auto-correct or the telltale red lines under misspelled words in Microsoft Word. Your computer’s grammar check can help with homophones such as “their,” “there,” or “they’re,” but there is no substitute for proofreading your work.

txting_cartoon

I’d like to offer one final admonition about overusing exclamation points. Here’s my rule of thumb: use one exclamation mark per sentence and one exclamatory sentence per paragraph. There are better ways to add excitement to your writing than exclamation point overindulgence. As we told my grandson when he was younger, “Use your words.”

Bottom line – you may not be getting any interviews because you’re not making a great first impression with your communications skills. Clean up your presentation of your résumé and cover letter, and I bet you’ll “clean up” on the number of interviews you get invited to as well.

Best of luck!

Want to receive these tips by email? Simply subscribe for once-a-week tips and tricks for career success!

1. Esther Ordelus
    Aug 23, 2013 @ 20:58:43

When do u think u can find me a full time job

Sep 04, 2013 @ 10:11:11

Esther, my friends at The Select Family of Staffing Companies can help you find work. If you have already started the process with Select, check with your Personnel Supervisor.

2. Andrew John Cheadle
    Aug 14, 2013 @ 12:03:38

I don’t think Texter Extraordinaire uses this kind of speech in either his cover or resume. However, I think someone who’s versed in cover & (and) resume writing can help him write up a winning combo (nation) to get him his next job. I guess some contractions are a good thing, but I am a Callie (fornian) after all.

3. Tt
    Aug 14, 2013 @ 04:49:33

What ever you do follow your first mind but make sure that what you want life is to short making decession is very serious

4. Lisa McPherson
    Aug 13, 2013 @ 14:34:27

Hi Anita,  I recently interviewed for an Executive Administrative Assistant position twice.  The first time I had a phone interview.  Didnt make it to the onsite live interview.   Several months later, the position was available again.  I had a very brief phone screen and was invited to a live onsite interview with 4 ppl that lasted 3hrs!  I was rejected again!  I asked for feedback on what I couldve done differently to land the job, but I didn’t get a response.   I don’t know what im doing wrong!

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Aug 15, 2013 @ 10:11:25

Hi, Lisa. Without having been in the interview, it’s hard to guide you here. However, I wouldn’t assume that you did anything wrong necessarily! There are a lot of candidates for every position these days, and it could be that in both cases, there was one that had a bit more relevant experience than you did. The good news is that your resume got their attention and you got the interview! That’s more than some seekers can say right now. However, if you really feel you could have performed better, take some time and practice your interview skills. Make a note of commonly asked questions and formulate polished answers that you can give during your next interview. Hold some mock interviews with some friends or family to get yourself more comfortable talking about your skills and experience. Finally, you may wish to read some of my posts about Interviews, such as “Interview DO’s and DON’Ts” and “Interview Tips.” Better luck next time!

5. Ann
    Aug 13, 2013 @ 08:51:48

No comment that person is poorly educated!!