Capitalizing on Team Member Assets

Hi, Anita:

Over the past few months I have assembled a great team of individuals to work on a very important project I have in the pipeline. Each person brings their own set of strengths to the table along with a few weaknesses. How can I capitalize on what each team member does best and minimize the impact that these weaknesses may have on our overall performance?

Dear, Smart Supervisor:

Ray B. Williams of Success IQ University said it best, “Organizations are merely a reflection of the individuals in them. Most organizations are like a puzzle put together in a dark room. Each piece is squeezed into place, and then the edges are ground down so they feel well positioned. But, Strengthpull up the shades, let a little light into the room and we see the truth.”

Capitalizing on team member strengths can truly transform you from doing a mediocre job to being a powerhouse that produces power-packed results. I commend you for the hard work you have put into finding your A team and for reaching out to me with your question. You have already done the heavy lifting by selecting and assembling your group. Now, you just need to fine-tune it to your exact specifications.

The best way to tackle the weaknesses that are lingering in your team is to first identify each person’s unique strengths and natural talents. Meet with your group members individually and together to discuss what they believe are their best assets and what Business_Liftingthey hope to contribute to the team. This is where you can really bolster your team’s résumé and gain some ground quickly. Distinguish between what the employee’s natural talents are and what skills they have or can learn on the job. These will be your saving grace in times of trouble and your team’s gold mine.

Once you have a list of team member talents, it is time to assign each person with a set of responsibilities and tasks that best suit their strengths. If you have a person who is fantastic at behind-the-scenes organization and management but may not be the best with client interaction, place them in a role that provides background support. For the boisterous people person, let them be the team ambassador and interact with outside contacts.

The bottom line is that high-performing teams truly understand each other and acknowledge their strengths and shortcomings. Take the time to incorporate group member strengths into the overall strategy and avoid overlooking obvious weaknesses. Capitalizing on individual assets will bring your team closer together, develop a sense of interdependency, and allow each person to have their moment in the sun.

To hear more about how leveraging team strengths are better for your business, watch this video below:

Readers, what are your greatest strengths and weaknesses? What do you do to allow your talents to shine when working on a team?

Have a question you would like to ask? Visit http://anitaclew.com/ask-anita/.

Warm Wishes,

1. Julieta A. Lisbo
    Apr 06, 2013 @ 12:57:35

Hi, Anita my strengths are the knowledge and skills about the job. My weaknesses usually occur when management or supervision is not good because it affects relationships and collaborative attitude of the workers . The talent of an individual can be recognized soon while performing the job.

2. Oliver Diaz
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 13:08:58

All i Can say is, that I Am a Good Worker, i Know how to treat People And i Got Experience about Assembling Because i used To work at Metech recycling and it was all About Assembling. I’m a Hard Worker Trust ME.

3. Houa Lor
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 09:48:12

I recently applied with your staffing, I was wondering if there’s any job that’s open any…. Thank You hope to hear from you!!!!!!!

________________________________

4. Dennis Rutues
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 00:35:42

Trying my best to get a job need help thanks

5. mike and brandy
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 20:14:32

thank you soooo much for this. do you encourage a compiling of different ‘strength roles’ for my team members that i work with? possibly with 3×5 cards?
    -mike

• Stephanie
      Apr 04, 2013 @ 16:35:24

Mike,

I’m obviously not Anita, but I thought I’d chime in as I have some experience with this.

I think if you’re a list person, that could work really well for you – it’s a good way to look at a project, identify “I need someone who can do x, y, and z, pull out Sarah’s card and say “Oh hey, she meets those requirements, let’s see if she wants to work on it!” If you do this, you might consider keeping those cards confidential.

I’d also try not to do this at the beginning stages, ie- when you’re figuring out your employee’s strengths. Yes, you should take note of what they’re good at, but to sit down and just write a list is somewhat limiting… you’re putting on labels and run the risk of being too narrow, possibly missing a hidden talent. The same holds true if you ask your employees to come up with the strengths… in my experience, people can be surprisingly bad at judging themselves (somewhat scientific support for this? The Dunning-Kruger Effect: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolved-primate/201006/when-ignorance-begets-confidence-the-classic-dunning-kruger-effect).

I definitely think multiple face-to-face meetings are the way to go with these sorts of conversations. Writing stuff down is good (really good… that’s part of staying organized), but it really should be an ongoing, interactive process.

6. Stephanie
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 15:22:46

Sounds like great advice. Too often we overlook the potentials of our team members because we haven’t taken the time to get to know them – yes, we might hire a person for a specific set of skills, but they can bring all sorts of things to the table if you can unearth their hidden talents. And don’t discount an employee’s interest in learning! Part of being a good leader is helping your team grow. Don’t fill up every single moment of their workday with what you hired them for (though certainly that is an important part of the job). Leave half a hour a day, or two hours per week, whatever fits the work load, to give them time to concentrate on whatever organizational projects sparks their interest. This fosters skills growth and culture that encourages letting your team take the initiative.

7. susan meyers
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 09:05:39

Hi I don’t know how this works. Iam measly trained. And good with all people.

8. James Land