Making the Right Hire

Hi, Anita:

Hi, Hoping to Hire Smart:

Thank you for the question. At one point or another, all managers or supervisors are faced with the challenge of selecting and hiring a new employee. Once you have spent hours sifting through résumés and aInterviewpplications to weed out the definite “no”  candidates, it is time to begin contacting the promising ones to schedule an interview.

The information gathered during the interview provides the strongest insight into whether or not hiring this person is a smart decision. Not only do you need to look at the candidate’s professional experience, but you also need to take into consideration whether or not this person meshes well with your company’s culture and current team dynamics.

One bad hire can throw a wrench into your well-oiled machine, so take note of the following:

• Understand that making the right hire is not a race. Take the time you need to find a candidate that best suits the position and your company culture. Don’t let pressure or the copout of “I had no other options” be the reason you make a hiring mistake.
  • Utilize behavioral interviewing techniques. Ask questions that require honest, on-the-spot answers, not carefully rehearsed responses.
  • Before the interview, carefully review the candidate’s résumé and be prepared with questions that will provide insight into past, present, and future performance.
  • Test the skills of the candidate. Just because they listed them on their résumé doesn’t mean they can actual do them.Oops Sign
  • Talk to your team to get a feeling of what they want in a new hire.
  • Ask for and check references. Explain the job description the candidate is applying for and how well this person would perform in the role.
  • Be honest with yourself about your selection and interviewing skills. If you are not confident that you can make the perfect hire, contact a professional staffing agency like Select Staffing. They take the worry and hard work out of finding your next employee. With their skill evaluation tools and strict screening process, you can be sure that the bad apples stay away from your basket.

Here is great video from Microsoft Small Business about the importance of hiring the right people.

I hope this information helps you make the best hire for your open position!

Readers, what do you think is the reason why bad hires happen and what do you do to avoid them?

1. datruthsreal
    Feb 19, 2013 @ 09:23:01

Everybody comes flocking when they hear about a job lol!

2. Jose Segura
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 13:50:26

I am really interested in working. Please contact me as soon as you can.

3. Crystal Westberry
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 13:14:28

What kind of job is it

4. jamie
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:14:09

do you really want my opinon,does it matter….of course i wanted this position,or position’s,thought i was qualified…and not….my advise just give it to who you favor!

5. Crystal
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 08:28:26

I am really intrested in working and you won’t make a mistake if you hire me i promise you that. I would love the fact if you could hire me please.

6. Robin
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 05:43:30

In the time I had been interviewing and presenting recommendations to my manager I found it beneficial to take the applicant to the work floor and allow my employees to interact with them and visa-versa. My employees sometimes gave the applicant the most relaxed opportunity to ask and comment on the tasks. It helped me to get a bigger picture of the applicant through observation rather than a one on one question and answer session. I believe as a team we were able to get the cream to rise to the top and make good choices in hiring.

7. Mike Jackson
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 23:26:57

What is the job

8. Julieta A. Lisbo
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 12:50:15

I think bad hires happen when the employer fails to dig deeper to the personality , qualification and capabilities of the applicants’ .

9. nancyalvarado94@yahoo.com
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 11:15:12

Hi Anita what can a job do you have for me Nancy

Sent from my HTC smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!

10. ckarmen123@yahoo.com
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 10:40:20

Interest in position how may i apply

11. chandima1966@gmail.com
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 09:44:26

Dear Anita Pls advise below

Thanks Sanji

Sent from Samsung MobileJob Talk with Anita Clew wrote:

12. andrew moorehead
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 08:56:03

what job is you talking about i am look for a warehouse job or manfuction job forklift and recevie

13. Wendell Turner
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 08:06:16

I would love to make that position… On Feb 5, 2013 8:02 AM, “Job Talk with Anita Clew” wrote: > > anitaclew posted: “Hi, Anita: I have just received notice from one of my employees that he will be resigning from his position in 2 weeks. What tips can you offer that will help me make sure I am making the right hire to fill the opening in our team? Hi, Hoping to Hir” >