A reader writes…
I am currently on the hunt for new employment opportunities and, with my busy lifestyle, I am finding it difficult to look for jobs while I am out and about. Recently, I have noticed that a number of companies have developed applications for mobile devices.
What are your thoughts on these applications, how will they help me, and where should I start my first download to maximize my efforts?
Dear, Tech-savvy searcher:
Thank you for the question about such a hot topic, considering 77% of job seekers use mobile job search applications. Nowadays, you can find a mobile application for almost anything you can imagine. Everything from child distractions to restaurant finders to major time wasters! All are right at your fingertips. But the best thing to come to job seekers since the résumé are employment apps for mobile devices.
As you have mentioned, only a few companies have put their resources into developing productive and user-friendly applications for job seekers. And since yours truly has finally stepped into the 21st century and picked myself up a nifty smart phone, I figured it would be best to take a test-drive of these applications.
Some great things to note about job seeker apps on your mobile devices:
- Many of the best applications are FREE to users. Utilize the free options before trying any of the pay-per-download apps. I think you will be just as surprised as I was by the functionality of these free apps.
- At all times, you are able to have the tools needed to apply immediately to an opportunity. You can provide contact information, apply with your LinkedIn profile, and more with a few taps on the screen.
- GPS is often used to determine the distance that you are from a job you are interested in.
- Scroll through and share positions that you, your friends, or your family may be interested in.
- If you are currently employed, you can discreetly search and apply for positions on your lunch break.
My friends at The Select Family of Staffing Companies have just released a mobile application (that you can download today by clicking the appropriate link) for iPhone, iPad, Blackberry and Android smart phones called Job Finder from Select Family. CareerBuilder also has a great app that is worth looking into. Both are highly ranked by users and provide job seekers with the tools to locate their next employment opportunity.
I can’t wait to hear what your thoughts are on this new technology!
Have a question you would like to ask? Visit http://anitaclew.com/ask-anita/.