Summer Job Seeking

A reader writes:

“Dear, Anita,

I am a sophomore college student spending this summer in a beach town to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. I really need to find temporary employment but have little-to-no real work experience. I have been searching but seem to be having no luck. Do you have any advice for me that will help me land a great summer gig?Summer Job Seeker

Thanks for the question, Summer Job Seeker!

Many students come out of their first year of school needing to make some extra money for the fun-filled year ahead of them. Others crave some real world experience to apply the skills they have learned in school. The challenge that most students face is a lack of real professional work experience to bring to the hiring manager’s table. Sure, you may have had your own lawn-mowing business in highschool or a lemonade stand at your community pool, but although these are great experiences, they are not something that will pump up your résumé.

Even though your résumé may be slim on professional positions, volunteer experience can have a large impact as well. Most high schools require that all students complete a minimum number of hours of community service in order to graduate. Contact the organization that you worked with and request a written recommendation documenting their experiences working with you. This will provide the hiring company with some understanding of your work ethic, attendance record, and contribution potential.

BSummer Job Seekere driven. There is nothing more powerful than the eagerness to work and learn as much as possible. This alone can bring your name to the top of the interview list. If you come in prepared, with a confident attitude and a bright outlook, you will surely stand out in the mind of the hiring manager. Don’t forget to dress professionally from start to finish of the job-seeking process. For guidelines and tips for nailing your appearance and attire, check out my recent post, Dress for Success.

After you have filled out an application with the potential employer, don’t let them forget about you. No more than 3 days after submitting your application, résumé, and recommendations, call or email to respectfully inquire on the position you applied for. This will not only show them your interest in the opportunities they have available but your desire to work for them.

I wish you the best of luck, Summer Job Seeker, and all of you that are seeking employment during these sunny months.

Are you looking for summer employment or have some tips and tricks to share with your fellow readers? Post them in the comment box!

Thanks again for the question and if you have comments, leave them in the box below! Do you have a question that you need help answering, visit http://anitaclew.com/ask-anita/!

-Anita

1. Pauline
    May 18, 2016 @ 00:42:25

Great Pointers. I agree that college students should consider summer jobs, this way you learn new skills and experience the outside world and how it works.

2. bookeepingauBelinda Chonsie
    Sep 11, 2013 @ 23:00:04

Bookkeeping is a small yet significant part of accounting as it is used to provide the true picture of incoming and outgoing of funds from a business.

3. ameliarojas
    Jul 14, 2012 @ 11:42:25

“Summer Job Seeker” beware the fbi.gov warns everyone especially students to be cautious when responding to ads that offer unrealistic “summer jobs” you have all seen the ads posted on telephone poles that read “Make $1,000 Working From Home” Most if not all are SCAMS!

I recommend everyone and all college students visit the fbi.gov website for further information…Do yourself a favor and ignor those ads as tempting as they may be.

Furthermore the Better Business Bureau has also posted warnings on the many “Work-From-Home” scams that target college students.

This is a serious problem and just wanted to share!

That’s my tip “be skeptical” be “smart” if it’s too good to be true – It is!

4. ameliarojas
    Jul 12, 2012 @ 14:42:39

Summer Job “gig” I also wanted to mention that students or anyone seeking a job right now, today should perhaps consider the “Golden Arches” as an option or at least as a summer job “gig” First my son who is 19 now, has worked for two different McDonalds, they are very flexible with their schedules and they work around his school hours. I think that changing the outlook or negative conotation that most people have about “Mc Jobs” would help them earn a steady income and most importantly an honest income and one thing I have learned is that McDonalds does promote from within…so who knows if you have a Business Degree you might benefit from starting with McDonalds and then move up the corporate ladder? Just a thought…It’s really time to “think outside the box” in my opinion.

5. L. Palmer
    Jul 12, 2012 @ 11:29:38

I think there’s some great advice here. However, I disagree that a lemonade stand or lawn mowing business can’t be job experience. Spin it the right way, and you can call yourself a “Entrepreneur” or Self-employed, and then put things in the job description like: “Networked with clients to expand business”, which is another manner of saying, “I mowed my neighbor’s lawn, and he suggested me to his grandma.” Or, “Managed accounts payable and receivable,” which really means paid your mom back for gas, and made sure you got paid before doing another job. These are real skills that you can adapt to any job. Just make sure they are relevant.

• ameliarojas
      Jul 12, 2012 @ 14:33:26

Great point L.Palmer, “thinking outside the box” is especially important during these though economic times and recent college grads may benefit from putting their current skills to work for them right away, instead of waiting for a job or at least until they get a “regular” job. I’ve suggested in other posts and in my blog that students get to work right away by “Tutoring” this is a great option!

I am a full time student and I’ve hired tutors in the recent past and paid $50.00 per hour for my Adobe Tutor, who by the way is a UCLA student as well.

The bottom line and I agree with you is to put their skills to work for them, this will bring a income and may add to their resume and may impress employers as well.

I know of a few people that lost their jobs within the past few years and they are able to earn an income by doing side jobs, such as Web Desgin.

Again great points L. Palmer

6. ameliarojas
    Jul 10, 2012 @ 11:02:50

Great advice as usual Anita, these are very helpful tips for all individuals especially students…I do have some additional tips and that is to put your current college degree to work right away…How? well while you wait for a regular job, you can Tutor in whatever area you like, such as English, Math, Language and so on. This is a great option if you ask me. I am a full time student and just recently needed a Tutor, so I hired one..My Tutor was a full time student at UCLA and she helped me with Adobe Illustrator, this is just an example of course, but the point is that great tutors are in high demand and this will add to your resume as well.

I actually wrote and article on this subject and you can view it on my blog if you like, here’s the link to my article: http://ameliarojas.blogspot.com/2012/06/2-simple-job-ideas-for-college.html

Either way what ever you chose to do, you can certainly put your current skills to work for you while you wait for a regular job…

I hope this helps!

7. pravinchn
    Jul 10, 2012 @ 10:41:20

Reblogged this on pravinchn.