Reaching a DREAM

Hello Faithful Readers!

100th blog post!I am so gosh darn excited to announce that with your tremendous help and excellent questions, together we have reached our 100th post on “Job Talk with Anita Clew.” It is hard to believe that in such a short amount of time, with the dedication from my followers and the contributions from readers like you, my initial goal of 100 posts on Job Talk has finally been realized!!

In honor of this momentous occasion, I thought it would be nice to share some of my thoughts on the importance of setting goals that you hope to achieve. Making changes and sticking to them is a difficult task. But in order for you to reach your dreams, you must set a goal and keep your eyes on the prize.

To make your goal a reality, you have to make SMART choices.

You have to start by making a goal that is very SPECIFIC. For me, writing 100 blog posts was what I set out to do after launching “Job Talk with Anita Clew” in November 2010. It was a concrete goal, one that has little variance and can only be achieved one way.

Make your goal one that can be MEASURED, where progress can be gauged accurately within the time frame set to achieve it. Imagine a fundraiser with an empty thermometer showing how much money has been collected during a set period of time. Every time you make progress, you fill in the thermometer. As you get closer to your goal, the more excited you will become to achieve it.

The next key attribute to setting a goal is making sure it is ACHIEVABLE in the near future. Of course, many of us would like to be a billionaire or the first person to land on Mars, but in reality, this is something that most likely will not happen within a reasonable time period. As human beings, we are wired to seek instant gratification, and when we do not get it, we give up easily. Making your goal achievable in the short-term will make it easier to keep up the hard work when times get tough.

Make your goal RELEVANT and REALISTIC to your dreams, passions, career, family, or to whatever gets your gears turning. If you have no personal drive or incentive to complete your goal, it is very unlikely that you will. For instance, try setting a goal to come to the office 15 minutes early this week so you can be collected and ready to start the day fresh. By Friday, once you have reached your fifth day in a row, you will see how excited and more productive you will be for making your goal.

Finally, give yourself a TIME deadline to reach your goal. Deadlines are one of the main reasons why anything gets accomplished in today’s world. When I set my goal, I gave it 2 years, a reasonable time to write 100 blogs posts, at a rate of 1 per week for 104 weeks. Seems pretty doable, right? For example, have you ever set out to lose 10 lbs in the next 2 years? Give yourself too much time, and you may cheat – have an extra brownie or two…or three, and skip your afternoon workout “just this once.” But if you set out to lose 10 lbs in a realistic time period, like 3 months, you will be much more likely to stick on track and be accountable.

Follow these steps and make your goals a reality like I did! Cheers to 100 posts and to our 45,000+ followers. Without your support, none of this will be possible. Next stop on the path to success, 250 posts, and to helping another 45,000 people with their questions!

Best,

1. Cristalstar29
    May 01, 2012 @ 08:13:38

@ anita I have just started an at home business, how might I seek employees

May 03, 2012 @ 12:03:58

Thanks for the question.

My friends over at Select Staffing do a wonderful job recruiting, interviewing, screening, and providing talented individuals to their clients. They complete background and reference checks of each potential candidate to ensure they are top notch and ready to work should you select them. They have offices all across the country, so I am sure you will be able to find one close to you. Select has experience in all capacities and quantities of staffing needs, though they do have some restrictions on placing temps in people’s houses – so if your business is really “at home,” you may have to look elsewhere (perhaps post an ad on a job board). Visit their website at http://www.selectstaffing.com to learn more.

2. Thomas V. miller Sr.
    Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:01:27

Hello Anita, Perhaps you can help me with my problem, i have been out of work for over a year and a half and have been on hundreds of interviews and i keep getting the same response, that i am over qualified for the jobs! I’m a welder/fabricator & machine builder with 40 plus years of experience ( I’m 58 years old) How do i convince them to hire me?

• m.capriola
      Apr 17, 2012 @ 07:34:24

That’s a tough one.
      You might point out that you are willing to start off in an entry-level position to prove yourself with an eye to future promotions. Point out that your qualifications and years of experience not only make you a valuable asset, but should enable you to grow within the company. Anita might be able to articulate this better than I can. How about it, Anita? ;)

Apr 19, 2012 @ 13:04:38

I am not sure if I could have said it any better myself. Starting from the bottom and working your way up is a great way to establish yourself in the company and show that you are dedicated to your profession. For the most part, people do not start their careers out as CEO’s and COO’s of companies. They had to prove themselves and gain applicable experience through a steady and consistent work history. Internships and volunteer opportunities also will help you build your resume and open the doors for entry level positions in your field as well.

Good Luck!
        -Anita

Apr 19, 2012 @ 13:06:08

Good question! It seems to be a common situation these days. I posted a blog that covers just this topic. Check it out for some tips: http://anitaclew.com/2011/01/27/how-to-overcome-overqualified/

Best of luck,

3. scrapydo
    Apr 10, 2012 @ 13:02:27

Perfect advice!

4. designdakotastyle
    Apr 10, 2012 @ 08:49:40

congrats! always a concise and informative blog. looking forward to 100 more.