Online Application – No Calls

Dear, Anita,

I applied with my local temp agency (completed the online application), but I have not received any calls. Am I doing something wrong?

Dear, “Applicant,”

I am so glad you brought up this question because I think it applies to several of my readers. Just because you filled out an application online, does not mean you’ve been “hired” by the agency. The fact is, you’re not even done with the hiring process!

1. Call your local branch after submitting your application online.
  2. Confirm they received your information (they may ask for your social security number so they can look you up in their system).
  3. Schedule an appointment to come into the branch. During your in-person meeting, you will conduct an interview, complete a few more assessments, and finalize paperwork as part of the hiring process. Keep in mind, this may take at least a couple of hours… just warning you to plan accordingly and to leave the kids at home!

As you prepare for your meeting at the branch office, keep these additional tips in mind:

• You will need to bring two forms of ID (showing your eligibility to work in the United States).
  • Bring a copy of your résumé if you have one.
  • Bring 2-3 employment references.
  • Dress professionally – you want to leave a good first impression with the recruiters.

Let the staff know your availability and the type of work you are seeking. Depending on your skills and the types of positions available… you may walk out of there with a job immediately! If not, don’t be discouraged. New openings pop up all the time. Recruiters will call you, but it’s up to YOU to remain in contact with them as well. Especially in a down economy, these recruiters can get hundreds of résumés a week, so you need to make sure your name stays top of mind by staying in touch with them.

Good Luck!

1. J
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 05:28:01

howdoyoufindajob.blogspot.com – very interesting blog to find a job

2. dawn farley
    Aug 05, 2012 @ 11:54:52

I applied on line and got an interview with the local temp agency. I was told to call every Tuesday. I did this for a month. I get a call from a friend congratulating me on my new job. Of course I was wondering what they were talking about. Well didn’t they call you to come to work? Ummmm,no! Well they just hired a dozen people . Oh Really. So I called the office and inquired after the job . I was so angry when the the Lady says um , well you see you haven’t had a job in the last 6 months and so and so company doesn’t hire anyone who hasn’t worked during that time period. But it was ok to hire a high school kid who was still in class?? what ever. I have since found a job . actually two part time jobs. still not making 10 grand a year. it’s all politics and butt kissing. not who you know but who you are related to. which in Smallville is hard to avoid, everybody knowing everybody., and being a new comer ,well let’s say it’s been a challenge.

3. isabel
    Jul 30, 2012 @ 22:23:05

I feel that it all depends on the agency you apply at….its so sad to say…but I have been on many occassions in the office of one banch in chino, ca. Select staffing…I’m not to sure if the same employees are still present but, on the days I was in the office..I witness, personal calls, gossip about cliants some I have met on work orders.. and I feel what topped it for me is when I needed a day off I was rudely question as if I was a high school student or there personal friend, that to me was very imperfessional..so now I work out of rancho, but I’m now getting the runaround so I think I’m gonna have to try another angency….there loss not mine…..please judge them for yourself not on my mishaps with them….you might have better luck then I had…..

4. Katrina C. Fender
    Mar 20, 2012 @ 07:47:41

I have been looking for steady employment. And I am a hard working individual.
    Am recently divorced and need employment

5. Renee McGuire
    Mar 08, 2012 @ 13:06:17

I been looking for months now and noone seems they want to help so it looks like as if Im lazy and Im not. I went on interview, nothing yet oh we hired the people we want to me that doesnt sound right. I really need a job Im living with people it just doesnt look right. I update on my rersume do follow up calls. When is it going to break. I had jobs before down in los angeles. In the high desert it seems as if noone will help they keep saying that same line oh yo will get a job. I want to hear I got the job so I could feel good its to long. I want to move on with my life its boring without finance to not buy anything. So please help I like to work. I do security work in a office before law firm sony record company universal studios as merchandise sales clerk and food server country club doing catering house cleaning data entry operator. teacher aide.

6. luis reyes mendez
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 15:21:36

Busco trabajo en el empaque im looking for a job,please feel free to contact me

7. luis reyes mendez
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 15:18:10

Busco trabajo en el empaque

8. Cheryl Ann Cayce
    Feb 28, 2012 @ 08:52:54

Should you know who manager is when you apply for a job?

9. Chris Turley
    Feb 26, 2012 @ 20:58:43

I too, have done that. When I call my local branch; they told me they knew nothing about my application. They would contact me when the received it. Did I ever receive that call? Nope….. The what of the would deals with the internet on a daily bases. But, still the right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing!

10. Faye
    Feb 26, 2012 @ 14:30:41

There are far more temporary agencies than demand. Unfortunately, these agencies are not sharing their struggles to solicit corporate or manufacturing customers to send temp help. One agency I contacted did not even bother to test my skills, so that was a red flag. Currently, I am trying to market myself directly to companies as a Virtual Assistant. The temporary agencies have to compete with individuals as well.

• bland, janet
      Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:06:34

What an Excellent Idea! The Virtual Assistant is making the best of a discouraging situation, And I hope you will be very successful!!

Hang in There Faye & GO Team Faye!

11. rosalina
    Feb 26, 2012 @ 07:16:10

the thing is most of the jobs on line does not give you an address of the name of the person you should contact it gives you job description only and how to apply how do we go about this when there is no place to go or call?