Maternity Leave… What do you think?

Hey working (and expecting) moms out there!

I thought you would find the following article about maternity leave interesting: http://tradepost.selectfamily.com/index.cfm/2011/11/17/maternityleave

As an American, (despite the difficult times we face), I firmly believe we live in the best country in the world.  As a working mother of two, however… I think our nation’s rules and regulations regarding maternity leave stink!

What do you think?

1. Karen
    Nov 27, 2011 @ 09:21:16

I grew up hoping to have a large family. I wanted to be a stay at home mom but life did not give me that opportunity because my husband could not hold a good-enough paying job long enough for me to be able to quit mine. But I still wanted to be a mom. I ask you, Kim, did you sell oxy when you were a kid? Not all kids end up in jail – not all kids are bad. I did get maternity leave and it was all too short, but I welcomed it. It gave me a chance to bond and then find a daycare to take our daughter so I could return to work. My husband and I took turns caring for our daughter when she was home sick and my mother when we both had to work. Now as for covering for co-workers, I’ve had to do it – would you have unpaid leave for someone who is out for cancer treatment or having to learn how to live minus a limb because of an unfortunate accident? Shame on you! With the economy the way it is, there is almost no chance of anyone being a stay at home mom anymore. Everyone has to work. I’ve had temp jobs because of maternity leave – it kept food on the table allowing me to work two jobs for brief periods. The person who temped for me was so good at it, I recommended him to take my job when I was promoted to another department and he eventually promoted to a really good job in IT. I’m sorry you are so unwilling to help others and find it so difficult to put yourself in someone else’s shoes. You have loving pets. I’ve had to cover for co-workers whose pet died and they were too torn up to come to work for a couple of weeks. I didn’t complain. I took on the extra work and welcomed them back when they returned. It’s life. We help one another.

2. Gregory D. Eberhardt
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 10:40:15

Can you send a navy corpsman some help?

3. officegirlfriday007
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 19:57:57

i think that if you are going to have a kid and work you need excellent day care and by that I mean a place that will take them even if they are sick. I can’t tell you how many times mothers call in and say o I will be late, my kid missed the bus or I can’t come today b/c my kid is sick, mind you the employee is not sick but their kid is. Now obviously i don’t have kids, but i think either you should work or stay home and take care of your kid not both. my mom stayed at home until us kids were older and could fend for ourselves and that means being 12 years old and able to take your own cough medicine while she was at work, and heat up soup. when i was thinking of college my mom asked now in a few years are you sure you don’t want to get married and have kids, and i said no, I want to go to college and work. it was one or the other, not both.

• Wanda
      Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:00:37

in regards to your Daycare comment, yes, in order to have a successful career as well as a happy loving family, daycare is one of the top important neccessities needed in order to go that direction. The decision is deciding whether to choose a Daycare school, who will send your children home if they are sick, but these schools also provide the child education as well as taking the children on field trips. Otherwise, you can choose a private daycare provider or nanny. This route can be good or bad. I decided to hire a nanny. My nanny, Joanne, was a registered nurse. I do not think I or my son, could have had it better. Joanne was wonderful with my son and she was there when my son was got the Chicken pox and when he choked on his first ice cube. It was great knowing she knew exactly how to handle it..

4. Chris
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 15:52:34

First time user,hope this thing works,cause I’m in desperate need of a job.

5. kimberly leake
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 14:19:32

It’s obvious tht u hve no kids an do not understand!!!!!! we hve to make money to take care of our kids an if somethng comes up where we hve to take off work to b with them then thts wats going to happn im sure ur parents didi it for u. so b considerate cus it will b u oneday if u want a family….

• Ron Shada
      Nov 21, 2011 @ 08:25:55

Don’t have kids until you both (if it is both) can afford to.Think before you copulate. I realize Clinton and congress passed the law allowing female employees maternity leave, but this is hard on the rest of the employees to cover the extra work load, or worse yet, the company has to bring in temps. In the end, this costs businesses more overhead.

6. Wanda
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 13:11:42

Kim,
    In regards to your argument pertaining to co-workers missing work, I can understand what you are saying; but not getting paid because he or she have responsibilties at home is an argument that I will appeal. LIFE is just not about showing up to work. As a woman, it is my responsibility, as much as it is a mans, to take care of their loved ones and well as his or her responsibilities. Work is not the only responsibility in a persons life. Let me explain, as a career mom, wife, and student, not only am I part of the Circle of LIfe, but I am also an educated person who understands how life operates.

As a living soul, we live and participate in what God provided for all, and it is called the Circle of Life. Just an FYI, you and your dogs are part of that circle as well. So please do not think your life is more important than anyone elses, especially a parents.

Through my 30 years of work experience , I have experienced both peers and employees who have missed a majority of his or her paid days off unexcused and these individuals did not have children. Many different reasons or excuses were provided for his or her time off, but I would most definitely want to tell you the employees and peers with the best overall performance, were my peers and employees who have children.

This economy as it is, if one parent could stay home, I am sure he or she would. I most definitely would have done that if I could have, but I am a responsible parent, individual as much as the next awesome career individual. I truly believe as a parent we strive harder to succeed than most nonparental individuals because we strive to be good influences and want to provide the best for our families. Just to top it off, parents are multi-taskers, and those types of skills are hard to come by.

I would like to conclude to say, as much as your lack of parenting knowledge and experience with an overall view of attendance of co-workers, please do not under estimate the importance of a true real parent and his or her performance. Leave that to the managers and family members.

7. Kim
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 11:43:33

As a working mother of dogs that get treated better and are better behaved than most American children, I think maternity leave should always be unpaid. Just because you feel the need to reproduce over and over doesn’t mean you should get paid to do so. Leave the paying jobs to those of us who have the time to do them.

I am soooooo tired of having to cover for my co-workers who are either giving birth, taking care of the child while they are sick, and otherwise calling in sick to work because their kid got arrested at school for selling oxy’s. If you want to have kids, please do everyone a favor and stay at home with them for a while—at least the first year of their lives. That’s good bonding time for you, your child, your family (assuming there is one) and society as a whole. Please ladies, just stay home for a while with your kids. Just because you CAN have children doesn’t mean that you SHOULD. And if you think you should, maybe you should move overseas where maternity leave is paid and lasts for months on end.

Think about it.