No Longer “Enthused.”

Dear Anita,
In my role, I am constantly on the go: managing staff, dealing with issues, overseeing projects…  you name it, I’m involved.  The problem is, my energy levels are fading, and I’m not all that “thrilled” about half the stuff I’m presenting to co-workers companywide.
Am I so burnt out I want to change my career?  No.  But do I need some tips on getting pumped up about work initiatives?  You bet. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Dear, “Energy Burst,”

Aside from getting a lot of sleep, maintaining a good work-life balance, and sipping a few extra cups of coffee…  there’s not much you can do to fix this situation.

Just kidding.

The fact is, you are representing a product (or service) in what seems to be a high-profile position at your company.  Even though you may not be jazzed about the content you are pitching (or training, or presenting…), you need to appear as though it’s the best thing since sliced bread!

So how do you do it?
Fake it.

Here’s an article from the American Management Association that addresses this very topic and includes tips on body language and more… to help you get through!

Happy Acting!

1. M. Capriola
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 07:48:13

Not much I can add to what Anita said, except:
    Try a power nap at lunch time to revitalize you for the afternoon.
    Make sure to eat properly and get exercise. Being overweight reduces energy levels.
    I read somewhere that 85% of Americans hate their jobs. They only do the job for the paycheck. Lucky is the person who can make money doing what they enjoy doing and what they’d do even if they weren’t getting paid. What I call the difference between having a career as opposed to just having a job. One is certainly more fulfilling that the other.

RE: vacation time. Many companies give 1 week vacation after 1 year’s service, and increase vacation time based on length of service. And they usually cap it at around 4 weeks. And since this is a buyer’s market, Employers these days are going to give as little as possible.

2. Jeffrey Diehl
    Oct 15, 2011 @ 10:48:22

Take a vacation. In the USA companies usually start employees out with 2 weeks vacation and increase it to 3 weeks after 5 years. Many are going the route of “personal days off” and combining sick and vacation days. At any rate, it’s not enough. In Europe they start of with 3 – 4 weeks off along with a week or two at Xmas and holidays. No wonder they have happier workers and greater productivity. They are not burned out, burned up and discarded as they are here. Take a vacation, At least two weeks so you get at least a week not thinking about the job you left or are going back to. And make sure you have two or three days back before you go to work to come down from your vacation.

3. sylvia
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 08:18:18

Sylvia, on ” No Longer Enthused” I felt the same way some months back about my job so I’m with you on that! The thing is I’m looking for work now and been denied unemployment and going throw appeal process now. With all my Fiances on whole everybody hands out wanting to get paid.Only a little of the problem not the whole thing.

4. Robin
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 08:45:33

I am sorry that you are burning out. It is difficult to stay enthused by your job if you are no longer rewarded by it. You loved this job at one point and you need to try to find that again. Dynamics change, inspirations are lost, support wanes,and finding a new beginning is tough.

That being said….you are lucky to have a job BUT you are a human being and “stuff” happens to cause us to continue to have feelings even though the rest of the world wants you to be miserable too!”Move away from the negatives!!!”
    Take a brief hiatus to get some relaxation and develop a plan too.

Look to those who work with and for you to develop new inspirations and support. Rearrange the dynamics, do some outside team building activities. Do something together in the workplace to foster a common goal…the fun part here is to make it NOT related to work. Do a fund drive for a local shelter…use incentives like
    ! an extra 15 minutes at lunch or
    ! a 15 minute later start/stop time for the department that raises the most money or “stuff”.
    ! A light brunch for the whole workplace when the goals are met.

Another thing that I may of may not be hearing is a bit of micromanaging? Correct me if I am wrong…Please…
    Developing, not just dividing and assigning responsibilities to your staff and others is a great way to increase workplace moral. By the way it rejuvenates you as well so it is actually a bit selfish! (lol)
    I wish you much success in finding your “happy place” at your job!

5. Dana
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 07:33:39

I understand both sides of this argument and I feel that having a job certainly helps to pay bills, but doesn’t always mean that the person doesn’t have financial stresses and/or can pay those bills with the job they have. Also doesn’t mean they have health insurance, so they may have a lot of stress in that area. Just because a person has a job, doesn’t mean their life is good. Perhaps they have children that they cannot spend time with because they have to work multiple jobs, or they have a sick or disabled child that they can’t support, finanically or emotionally. The job environment could cause the person a lot of detrimental health issues from stress, etc. Being unemployed is one of the worst experiences, been through it and so has my husband, I’m not discounting that. I do appreciate that any job is better than no job, but I don’t like the “be glad you have a job” mentality either. Life is difficult and filled with challenges, with or without a job. We all just do our best and use places like this to vent and for the support and guidance needed. If someone is in true distress, “suck it up” is not a very supportive or compassionate response. Seems like we could muster up a little encouragement for people, regardless of their situation. Don’t assume things about other people’s lives. I’ve always heard that if we put our situations all in a bowl, we would most likely choose our own back out because “the demon we know” is often easier to handle than “the demon we don’t know”.

6. sheryl lynch
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 01:03:59

U should be thankful u have a job. I am a 57 year old female with 4+ good back grounds: Certified Nurses Assistant/In-home-care, Retail Clerk, Sr. Prototype Assembler/nasa and government certified, top security clearance. Land-scaper,
    Cleaning and coordinating, Bartender. I never had to worry about where my next meal would come from! But that is down the toilet! I have always had a job some times had 2 jobs. But i have been out of work for 4 years and it is so mind melting and depressing. i would thank my lucky stars and thank GOD with so much happiness and joy. But i have to keep my hope strong and positive. So have eyes wide open! get real, be thankful and know u are blessed, u could be like a lot of us
    struggling, hungry,

7. Robin
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 20:14:39

I too am out of a job. I don’t think it is a good idea for you to Blog about your job like this. What if your management stumbles upon this and they know who you are. Believe me they will be on the biggest campaign to get rid of you and they will do it too. So my advice is, be grateful for your job and “Whatever you do, be good at it” Abe Lincoln

8. Landa
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 14:00:52

Hello, I really looking a jobs and there is different kinds work are you look for help me a jobs? Or what is other is? I honest really not clearly understand talk about the feedback email! I guess misunderstand or mixing mind myself from you was send email message.

9. lanayf
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 11:24:44

I totally agree with Brian. I have been unemployed for almost 2yrs. I have 2 young boys to take care of. I recently lost my car and about to lose my apartment. I wish I had a job! I’m not saying that you can’t complain because I have had jobs to where I felt the same way but, I now wish I had one of those jobs. Maybe, you should take a short leave or a couple of days off to regroup. Nevertheless, please be grateful you have a job.

10. A.J. Boyle
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 10:07:45

Can you spell v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n? It sounds like you need one. Also, look at the things you’re doing; are there any of them that you can delegate? Are you focusing on doing the things that you love about your job? Are you taking on tasks that rightly should be done by someone/anyone/everyone else? if so, then learn how to say “No.” It may be the most important management skill you’ll ever develop. Are you grooming someone to do the things you do? If you aren’t, how will upper management ever see their way clear to promote you? And finally, if “half the stuff” you’re presenting to co-workers company-wide is crap, now is the time to start looking for another job, one where you can do what you love and be proud of “all the stuff” you’re presenting.

11. Brian
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 09:15:16

Be grateful that you have a job. Practice being grateful about the things you have and how unfortunate so many others are and it will help you get through the tough days.;

• ronnie
      Oct 11, 2011 @ 12:23:17

exactly!! so many are out of jobs… and you have one. do you even know what it feels like to not know if you’ll have anything to eat the next day? I agree with Brian 100%