Résumé Required?

Is it necessary to bring a hard copy of my résumé to an interview?

Dear, “Above and Beyond,”

Now that résumés are so often submitted through online applications, posted on job boards, or emailed directly to potential employers, many job seekers have stopped bringing a hard copy with them (assuming it’s unnecessary).

Well, you know what they say about people who “assume…!”

The fact is, you absolutely SHOULD bring a copy.  Even better, bring a handful of copies – after all, you never know how many people may be meeting with you during the interview process, right?

It is the polite and professional thing to do.  Not all hiring managers are well prepared.  (Ok… there are a few out there who would not only have your résumé printed out – but they would have notes, questions, and comments hand-written in the margins!)  Not everyone is on the ball like that – though I can name a few people!

By handing over a résumé, you are simplifying the process and leaving behind a tangible piece of information that will sit front-and-center on the hiring manager’s desk. You probably won’t lose points for not bringing one, but you just may earn big points for being extra prepared and thorough!

Be sure to have it printed on nice, quality résumé paper – no flimsy typing sheets, nothing glossy or hot pink, and for heaven’s sake… no spritz of perfume or fragrance!

If you need any help with content or formatting, I highly recommend this professional résumé writing source.

Good Luck!

1. ashutosh
    Jan 28, 2013 @ 23:55:10

we want a telecaller for MBA institute pls contact

2. Yvette
    Oct 06, 2011 @ 14:25:16

How much does your company cost to rewrite my resume,or do you just give me the steps to do it myself.i know my resume needs lots of help.

3. Robin
    Oct 06, 2011 @ 07:13:49

I have always taken resume copy on high quality paper. Some of the interviewers were in need of them and others were not…I also had two interviewers who had nothing on me! They had no idea of my qualifications or even what I was there to interview for!!! I have had some surreal interviews! From the inexperienced “kid”, (doesn’t know how to read a resume) to the I don’t really care who gets this job “mature” interviewer (doesn’t bother to look at much less read the resume). I have already had to tell interviewers what position I am applying for at their company! I have been so put back in some interviews that I decided that I did not want to work for that company even if they did offer a position! I interviewed potential employees for my employers and would never have dreamed of going to one unprepared! Not only does it shed a negative light on the company but it is disrespectful to the interviewee. My point…always be prepared with a resume and the knowledge of what you have in it…you never know who will be sitting across from you.

4. LaVon Marbury-Robinson
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 13:23:04

Here is the final resume I am submitting.

LaVon Marbury-Robinson

5. John Howard
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 12:17:17

Dear Above and Beyond,

You should also bring a handful of business cards to give to the people you meet at the interview location. This starts with the receptionist and all those you interview with. Be sure to ask for business cards in return, so you can properly spell their names and address thank you notes. That includes the receptionist!

John

6. Lashorn Threatt-Gordon
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 04:30:18

Good Morning!

Thanks for the information and I do have a cover letter and resume. I’ll be patiently waiting for your response.

Lashorn

7. Tuasivi Ilalio
    Oct 04, 2011 @ 23:23:00

I apply for this selecting staff and i need more info because i don’t really understand what this is. Please i need more info.

Tuasivi ilalio

8. Appollo2112
    Oct 04, 2011 @ 19:19:28

Need a low cost dental insurance for a single male who needs alot done to his teeth..Live on a fixed income…

9. Eddie Randall
    Oct 04, 2011 @ 18:06:52

Do a google on the spelling of resume–do not to use the foreign é for resume, for this is the USA and not the EU.

10. Judy Brooke
    Oct 04, 2011 @ 10:22:52

I am a 68 year old female who is very healthy and needs to work. I believe I was let go because of my age. (Can’t prove it of course) I have been looking for work for over a year now, and all I want is a part-time job to supplement my SS. I can’t get to first base with any employer. I need something in the Grocery retail or any clerking job. Can you give me any advise??

Oct 11, 2011 @ 08:35:38

Hi Judy,
      I was out of town last week and apologize for not responding to you sooner. Aside from filling out applications at retail stores, restaurants, or grocery stores; you may want to consider applying with a temporary staffing agency. These days, many businesses will turn to staffing services to help them find candidates for clerical, reception, customer service positions and more. Likewise, you may be more likely to find part-time positions or schedules that are ideal for you.

As for the “age” issue… please take a look at an article I wrote called, “Getting Hired (or not) Based on Age” (http://anitaclew.com/2010/12/09/getting-hired-or-not-based-on-age/) I have compiled some tips that can position you well in your resume and during interviews. You have a lot to offer and I am confident that the right job will come along!

11. Maria L Garciald
    Oct 04, 2011 @ 09:16:51

i need to kno when is the interview and where plesase let me know
    thanks.

12. Jodine
    Oct 04, 2011 @ 08:33:23

I have experienced an interviewer with and outdated resume. From then on I bring a current resume.